Rapid Maxillary Expansion appliance
The rapid maxillary expansion appliance is designed to widen your top jaw. Custom-made to the shape of your mouth, once fitted it is very easy to care for. Just follow the instructions below:
- Keep up the brushing: Make sure you brush your teeth that have the bands around them. Keep this area clean at all times – rinse with water when you can’t brush.
- Turn your plate regularly: Your plate will need turning on a regular basis; the orthodontist will tell you how often to do this. Normally, it’s every second day for the first week and then every day. Find a time that works for you. Some prefer mornings, some after school. Make sure you turn it at the SAME TIME each day. This ensures a regular expansion process.
Remember: one full turn = when the hole appears at the top of the arrow. Each time it is turned you will feel a little pressure; take a Panadol or aspirin for any discomfort if it is needed.
- Avoid sticky foods: Sticky foods will pull the bands off the back of your teeth and get stuck all over your plate so avoid them while wearing your appliance. If the bands become loose, contact us straight away and we will get you in to fix them.
- Attend regular appointments: We will keep a good eye on the expansion as you are turning it, to monitor the progress. This may require your appointments to be relatively close together to start with but as treatment progresses you may not need to visit us as often.
- Practise talking: Expect your speech to be affected when you are first fitted with your appliance. We recommend you talk with family, friends and even yourself in the mirror as your speech will improve with practice!!! You may also find you produce more saliva during the first few days but this will soon settle.
A space may open between your front teeth but don’t worry; this space will close after expansion has completed.
Book your orthodontic consultation
If you’re ready for a smile that transforms your appearance, orthodontic treatment is your answer.
Book your consultation with the Ipswich Orthodontic team today to find out if you need treatment with an orthodontic appliance.